GROOMING CONTEST INFO
What You Need to Know
There’s no better way to put your grooming skills and passion to the test. Plus, you can earn major prize money with more than $35,000 in winnings at stake. All experience levels are welcome to participate, from early-career virtuosos to returning champs. Sign up for the competitions that align with your skills, then get ready to unlock increased, industry-wide brand recognition!
Contest registration opening February 21, 9 am PST.
Special note: Electric will NOT be provided in the contest ring. You must supply your own cordless clippers where applicable.
Rules and Regulations for Our 4-Legged Friends:
- Dogs should only be on convention center property if they are being used for competitions, in-booth demos, or by a speaker for demonstrations.
- Providers of dogs must register for the event and wear a badge for admittance onto the Trade Show Floor. No one is allowed in the Exhibit Hall without a badge.
- Dogs may not be walked around the convention center for any purpose other than to be taken to the potty area, back to the holding area, spa, booth, to a contest, or demo.
- The WPA Animal Safety and Handling Standards will be strictly enforced at all times during the event.
- Spa & bathing area will open on Monday, August 12 at 5:00 pm and will close on Friday, August 16 at 3:00 pm. We will have bathing time sign-up sheets so you may reserve a tub. It will be open 24 hours a day with the following exceptions listed below:
Wednesday, August 14: 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Spa is reserved for Creative Styling competitors.
- You must stay within the dog bathing area! You will not be allowed to wander onto the trade show floor until it is open.
- Grooming tables (electric or folding type) with arms, electric, shampoo, conditioner, bathing tubs, and dryers will be supplied.
- Competitors must provide a grooming loop, a bathing loop and their own towels.
- Please bring only one dog at a time for bathing and drying.
- Personal tables or cages are not allowed in the bathing area; there simply is not enough space.
- Electrical problems can occur, but class start times will be as scheduled. Plan your prep time so that you have an alternate plan to bathe and dry your dogs should there be downtime in the prep facility.
- Please be considerate of others who are waiting. Bathe your dog as quickly as possible, and then move to one of the prepping tables while waiting for conditioners, etc. to work.
Spa facility users must clean up after themselves! Vacuum or gather up and dispose of all hair when finished and sanitize the tables with Lysol wipes that will be available in the Spa.
24-Hour Dog Holding Area
- The dog holding area will be behind the grooming stage in Exhibit Hall B, next to the bathing spa.
- It will open starting Monday, August 12 at 5:00 pm and will close on Friday, August 16 at 3:00 pm.
- You will be responsible for the care of all dogs you bring; exercising, feeding, watering, and cleaning up after your dog. For each dog, you will need to provide a crate (no soft-sided or fabric crates allowed), dishes, and food.
- All dogs must be left in hard crates and you will be asked to sign a release when leaving your dogs.
- This area will be manned 24 hours a day, but you are responsible to exercise and care for your dogs.
We will have Holding Room forms available onsite. You will need one set of forms per dog.
Dog Drop Off and Unloading – See map
Please use the driveway entrance off of Russell Road and proceed around the convention center to the Bayside B dock. You will be allowed 20 minutes to unload your vehicle.
Dog Potty Area
A dedicated Dog Potty Area by Puppy Playground will be located outside the back of Hall B. This area will be accessible 24 hours a day.
Dog Exercise Area
A dedicated Dog Exercise Area by Puppy Playground will be located near the spa and grooming stage. This area will be accessible 24 hours a day.
Checklist for Traveling with Dog(s):
- Crate for each dog
- Plastic sheet to go under the dog crate in your hotel room
- Grooming loop
- Grooming tools that have been sharpened
- Plastic bags (for food, dirty towels)
- Poop bags
- Water bowl
- Food bowl
- Dog blanket
- Towels for drying dog
- Paper towels for cleanup
- Collar and leash
- Comfortable shoes and clothes
- Grooming smock
- If a dog is borrowed or rented, emergency phone number of dog owner
- Disinfectant wipes
- Current vaccination info for dog(s)
- Take before/after photos of your hotel room